NCC Bags Award @ ITU Telecom World 2017

Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) was yesterday honoured with the valuable partner Award at the just concluded ITU Telecom World events in Busan, South Korea.

According to International Telecommunications Union (ITU) “we are proud to honour NCC for her commitment and participation that make them a “valuable partner at ITU Telecom World events”.

This statement was contained in a certificate of appreciation signed by Mr. Houlin Zhao, ITU Secretary General, and issued to NCC at the end of the 2017 ITU Telecom World forum held in Busan, South Korea.

More so, ITU honoured three other Nigerian Innovators at the event namely: Valentine Ubalua, Temitope Awosika and Chizaram Ucheaga. They received the 2017 ITU Telecom World Recognition of Excellence Awards.

The world superintendent of telecommunication added also that it is proud to recognize the innovator’s excellence in providing and promoting innovative ICT solutions with social impact.

Source: Nigeria Communicationsweek

NIGERIA: NCC REMITS N133.4BN TO FEDERATION ACCOUNT IN 2 YEARS’

Nigeria’s telecoms regulatory body, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) on Thursday said it has, in the last two years, remitted N133,426,062,786 to the consolidated revenue fund of the Federal Government.

The commission’s Director of Public Affairs, Tony Ojobo, said in a statement, “Although NCC’s primary role is not to generate revenue for the government, but to nurture and regulate the industry, figures obtained from the commission show impressive remittance of funds to the coffers of the consolidated revenue of the Federal Government, especially in the last two years.

“For instance, the Commission’s last remittance to the consolidated revenue fund, which was on June 30, 2017 was N12,705,154,120 and it came just less than 10 days after the NCC remitted the sum of N1,282,453,138 to the account.

“In the same vein, the NCC last year, transferred N20,000,598,873 and another N15,000,000,000 in March before remitting N29,475,867,407 and N16,500,000,000 in December of the 2016.

“In 2015, however, the commission remitted N23,512,316,450 in October after paying N6,856,182,132 in September of the same year.

“It is noteworthy also that the quarterly contribution of telecom sector to the GDP has been consistently impressive in the last two years.”

Mr. Ojobo also quoted the Executive Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the commission, Prof Umar Danbatta, as recently saying the sector contributed N1.549 trillion to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in the second quarter of 2017, representing 6.68 per cent increase from the first quarter of the year (N1.452 trillion).

The National Bureau of Statistics report, Mr. Ojobo said, also confirmed that the telecommunications sector, during the second quarter of 2017, contributed 9.5 per cent to the GDP in contrast to 9.1 per cent contribution in the first quarter of the year.

“We are very proud of the remarkable contribution the sector is making. Even at the recent times when the whole economy was facing challenges, the sector had remained resilient and stable,” the NCC spokesperson quoted Mr. Dambatta as saying.

He added, “Similarly, the nation’s quest for attainment of 30 per cent broadband penetration by 2018, has received a major boost as ITU-UNESCO Broadband Commission for Sustainable Development confirmed last year announced that Nigeria had achieved 21 per cent level of penetration from less than 10 per cent 2 years earlier.”

Source: Premium Times

SOUTH AFRICA: TELKOM SHARES PLUMMET ON GOVERNMENT SALE PLANS

Investors in Telkom gave its shares a dressing down on Tuesday in the wake of continued plans by the government to sell part of its shares in the fixed-line group to fund the bail out of cash-strapped South African Airways.

After touching a high of R59.79 on Tuesday morning, Telkom shares sunk to a 52-week low of R55.10 on the day, valuing the company at R31.2bn. Its shares fell by 7%.

At a press briefing hosted by national treasury and the Public Investment Corp to quell media reports that there was a plot to remove Dan Matjila as CEO of the PIC, the apparent looming sale of Telkom shares received a special mention.

“Telkom is in our view a good asset. It’s well managed and we like it. If there is a seller of shares out there we would participate to an extent that satisfies our mandate requirements
Treasury director-general Dondo Mogajane government had approached the PIC to consider buying its Telkom stake in order to cover SAA’s funding gap of about R10bn.

Treasury and SAA are in talks with lender Citibank on how to settle a R1.8bn loan to the airline, which is due to be repaid at the end of September. In total, SAA has R6.9bn of debt maturing at the end of September, said Mogajane.

Matjila said the PIC would be keen to acquire a part of government’s Telkom shareholding but not its entire shareholding due to its “investment parameters”.

In other words, the PIC might not want to be too exposed to Telkom.

“Telkom is in our view a good asset. It’s well managed and we like it. If there is a seller of shares out there we would participate to an extent that satisfies our mandate requirements. We have parameters and we may not be able to take the full stake,” said Matjila.

The PIC is South Africa’s largest money manager and investor in the economy, with R1.8 trillion worth of assets under management on behalf of the Government Employees Pension Fund and other government funds.

SHARES FALL
It owns 11.9% of the fixed-line group, according to Telkom’s 2017 annual report.

The government owns a 39.3% stake in Telkom worth R12.3bn at the time of writing. The potential sale of the shares to bail out SAA was mooted on 23 August, when Telkom shares were quoted at R65.91, valuing government’s stake at R13.6bn.

Investor jitters about the pending offloading of shares has wiped off R3.5bn from Telkom’s market cap since 23 August and effectively reduced the value of government’s stake.

Telkom has already warned investors in a cautionary issued in August that the pending offloading of its shares by the government would continue to hit its share price.

Telkom is viewed as a crown jewel as CEO Sipho Maseko and chairman Jabu Mabuza have been largely credited with turning the company’s fortunes around over the last five years. Telkom is now a profitable company and is comfortably growing market share in a tough telecommunications sector.

The government has been criticised for using the proceeds from a cash-generative asset like Telkom to bail out a distressed, loss-making and mismanaged SAA.

The final recapitalisation of SAA would be unveiled next month during the medium-term budget policy statement, delivered by finance minister Malusi Gigaba.

The looming sale of Telkom shares is a similar strategy used by the government in 2015, when it sold its 13.9% stake in Vodacom to the PIC for an undisclosed amount. The proceeds were used to fund Eskom.

Source: Tech Central

FG targets $86m Revenue from Space Satellite

Mr. Adebayo Shittu, Minister of Communications, said that the Federal Government has repositioned the Nigerian Communications Satellite Limited (NIGCOMSAT) for global competitiveness to enable it generate an annual revenue of $86 million into government coffers.

The Minister made the disclosure during the inauguration of three Executive Directors of NIGCOMSAT in his office.

A statement from Pauline Sule, Director of Public Affairs in the Ministry, quoted the Minister as saying that ever since the launch of NIGCOMSAT 1R in 2011, several efforts have been made to optimizing the value of the satellite limited success.

“Of note, however has been the recent initiative to introduce Direct-To-Home Television Broadband and Global Positioning Services in the first robust attempt to commercialise NIGCOMSAT 1R and appropriately position the Company in global $86 million annual revenue industry”, the Minister added.

According to him, the Nigerian Communications Satellite Limited (NIGCOMSAT) is now a competitive commercial service provider, and is capable of managing government investment in communications satellite through commercialization of the services of the satellite.

Shittu congratulated the Managing Director, newly appointed Executive Directors and the entire management staff of NIGCOMSAT for putting all hands on deck and cooperate with one another to ensure the successful commercialization of NIGCOMSAT.

He expressed optimism that NIGCOMSAT would be self-funding as well as a source of major revenue generation to the Federal Government.

Abimbola Alale, Managing Director NIGCOMSAT, represented by Mr Shehu Malami Bello congratulated and welcomed the newly appointed Executive Director’s, and expressed readiness to work with them.

And she said that the newly appointed Executive Director’s would resume work immediately.

The three newly appointed Executive Directors are; Mr Kazeem Kola Raji, Alhaji Mohammad Lema Abubakar and Barr. Samson Osagie.

In his vote of thanks on behalf of the Executive Directors, Alhaji Mohammed Lema Abubakar lauded the Federal Government for their appointment and promised that they would work hard to deliver the expected goals.
Source: Nigerian Communicationsweek

How 20-Year Old Nigerian Attacked 4,000 Organizations Worldwide

An international hacking campaign targeting thousands of oil, mining and construction firms sounds like the work of a sophisticated criminal operation.

The scale of such an endeavour suggests it would need extensive resources and manpower, potentially even nation-state backing.

But a newly uncovered cyberattack that targeted more than 4,000 organisations in the oil and gas, mining, construction, and transportation sectors has been found to have been carried out by a 20-year-old man in Nigeria.

The lone attacker successfully hacked into the networks of at least 14 organisations, including a marine and energy company in Croatia, a transportation company in Abu Dhabi, a mining company in Egypt, a construction company in Dubai, an oil and gas firm in Kuwait, and a construction organisation in Germany.

Using a remote access Trojan and a keylogger, the attacker stole login credentials and financial information from these companies.

The fact that attacks were targeted at financial staff working in specific regions and sectors — energy and transportation firms in Europe and the Middle East — and the use of a phishing email lure claiming to be from oil and gas giant Saudi Aramco, initially led researchers to believe the campaign was the work of a well-organised group.

But researchers at Check Point investigating the attack found this wasn’t the case.

“We realised this was just one person, because of the technical analysis of the malware and the C&C communications, we realised it was a criminal, not a nation state conducting espionage,” Maya Horowitz, head of research for Check Point, told ZDNet.

And unlike professional hacking gangs, the culprit has very poor operational security, allowing researchers to identify him and monitor his actions.

“You can see holes in the phishing emails themselves and there are holes all over the infrastructure,” Horowitz said.

Put simply, the phishing emails are crude and unconvincing, with spelling errors, generic subjects and the target referred to as ‘Sir/Ms’. The mass-mailed messages ask users to download an attachment, which asks for macros to be enabled then installs two forms of malware — both of which are freely available on the web.

Victims end up infected with Netwire, a remote access Trojan that allows the attacker to gain full control of infected machines, and Hawkeye, a commercially available form of keylogging software. While both forms of malware are relatively simple, they’ve enabled the attacker to steal banking and other credentials, and earn thousands by stealing from accounts and selling on credentials.

While they’ve managed to infiltrate a number of large organizations, the perpetrator is far from a cybercriminal mastermind. Indeed, he has not even made much of an effort to cover his tracks and has even discussed his actions on Facebook.

“He’s not very techie, but he’s on a Facebook group of several Nigerian hackers where they exchange tactics and techniques,” said Horowitz.

Attacks using phishing to infect machines with malware are gaining in popularity, she added, and are replacing the infamous 419 scams of old. “The same people who ten years ago were only able to send Nigerian Prince scams today they can just rent malware and send it to whoever,” said Horowitz.

“It’s the same people, with the same technical skills, but now this whole market works more like a business where you can just buy or rent your tools online as malware-as-as-service. In this case it’s not even on the dark web, it’s just on the internet,” she added.

The increasingly availability of malware-as-a-service — or freeware such as Netwire and Hawkeye — means it’s easier than ever for budding cybercriminals to get in on the action. However, in many cases, the attacker doesn’t have the knowledge to take the necessary steps to hide themselves.

In the case of this individual, Check Point has shared its findings with Nigerian police and international agencies in order to stop future attacks and arrest the culprit.

Those organisations that have already fallen victim to the attacks will need to take extra security precautions, because it’s likely log-in credentials and other sensitive information have been sold on to criminals who could use them to perform further attacks.

Ultimately, the phishing emails used in this attack were very basic but nonetheless fooled employees in the target organisations. Horowitz stressed the importance of companies making employees aware what these emails look like and the threats they pose.

Source: Nigerian Communicationsweek

ZIMBABWE: POTRAZ UPDATES TELECOM LICENSE SCHEME TO HOST VIRTUAL OPERATORS

In an interview with The Financial Gazette , Gift Machengete, the Director General of the Postal and Telecommunications Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe (Potraz), revealed that the public body is in the process of To update its national telecoms licensing regime to enable a new type of telecom operator – virtual mobile network operators (MVNOs) – to integrate the market. According to the head of the telecoms regulator, this regulatory review aims to stimulate innovation and competition that will boost the national telecom market.

“We believe that MNOs and MVNOs will not only compete in the marketplace, but will also create an innovation and service offering that is very customer-focused. This would result in lower tariffs in the country , ” said Gift Machengete. Currently, the national telecom market is played by Econet Wireless the leading mobile operator, NetONe and Telecel, the public companies.

A virtual mobile network operator, according to the World Telecommunication Code, is a communication service provider that does not have the physical network infrastructure through which it provides its services. It relies on the infrastructure of a mobile network operator (MNO) which holds the physical network infrastructure and with whom a commercial agreement has been established. The MVNO buys from it a large volume of services that it will resell to retail at its own rates.

Source: Agence Ecofin

NIGERIA: ICT VARSITY TO BEGIN SOON IN ENUGU

Minister of Communications, Adebayo Shittu, yesterday said arrangements are in top gear for the immediate commencement of the ICT University of Nigeria.He said the Federal Government has secured 20 hectares of land from the Enugu State Government for the state campus of the proposed university.

A statement from the ministry said the campuses of the Digital Bridge Institute (DBI) in the six geo-political zones of the country and the Enugu Campus, will be converted to the new ICT University of Nigeria campuses.

“There is the need for more space for immediate and future use, especially for the construction of lecture halls, students’ hostels and staff quarters,” the statement said.

Adebayo, who visited the Enugu State Governor, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, gave him a letter of request for additional plots of land and restated Federal Government’s determination to upgrade the Enugu facility of the DBI to a campus of the ICT University.

He also requested the governor’s approval for allocation of 20 hectares of land for the university.The minister, who addressed members of the State Executive Council on his ministry’s reform agenda, also used the occasion to commend Ugwanyi for his giant strides in the state.

The statement added that Ugwuanyi threw the minister’s request to the State Executive in session and the request was unanimously endorsed for the governor to grant the request.

Ugwuanyi, Adebayo, his entourage and the Director General of Voice of Nigeria (VON), Osita Okechukwu, also visited the University site at the former Digital DBI at Ibagwa Nike, in Enugu East local council of the state for an inspection of its facilities.

Adebayo, however, disclosed that the government would move to ICT compliant countries like the United State of America, Korea, India and Singapore to get first class lecturers for the university.

He added that the Vice-Chancellor of the university would be a professor of ICT with a passion for entrepreneurship, “so that when students of the institution graduate they will not look for jobs to do but be on their own.

“The university would use private sector funds to run while the Federal Government would provide the enabling environment for the running of the institution.”Chairman of the implementation committee, Julius Okojie, said the committee submitted three reports on the academic brief, the law and the programme.

He disclosed that the university would run a college system, which would include colleges of information technology and security technology.

Source: The Guardian